Understanding Patent Application Filing in Pakistan
Who can file the patent application in Pakistan?
An application for a patent may be filed by any of the following persons, either alone or jointly with any other person:
- The true and first inventor of the invention;
- The assignee of a person claiming to be the true and first inventor;
- The legal representative of any deceased person who immediately before his/her death was entitled to make such an application.
It may be filed at the Pakistan Patent Office in Karachi or one of its Branch Offices in Lahore or headquarters in Islamabad.
How to file a Patent Application in Pakistan?
It may be filed in either of the two ways:
- A physical copy of the Patent applications can be filed; or
- The application may be sent electronically but the fee has to be sent manually after which a filing date is allotted. The hard copy may be filed later.
- Patent specification and claims in the English language along with drawings, if any;
- Complete details regarding the applicant(s) and inventor(s) (names, nationality and address);
- Application Form (for convention or non-convention application) signed by Applicant(s);
- Duly executed Power of Authority for the Agent;
- A certified copy of the priority document (if any). If the document is in a language other than English, a verified English translation, duly notarized by a notary public, of the same is also required to be filed at the Pakistan Patent Office.
All the details and other formal documents must be filed in English.
Sources: Patents Ordinance, 2000
For more information, please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
To know more about Patents in Pakistan click here