KIPO checks the patent application submitted so as to ensure that all requirements necessary to accord a filing date to the application have been satisfied.
In case of any of the following instances, the application is returned to the applicant without assigning any application number and is treated as if it had never been submitted:
- where the kind of the application is not clear;
- where the name or address of a person (or juristic person) who is initiating the application procedure (i.e. the applicant) is not described;
- where the application is not written in Korean;
- where the application is not accompanied by the specification (including detailed description of the invention) or drawings (if any); or
- where the application is submitted, by a person who has no address or place of business in the Republic of Korea, without using an agent in the Republic of Korea.